Schools are closed again today (We had some of this nasty weather a few weeks ago) and I have been busy putting together my grey and yellow room. I've been home and prepping for a new job, you would think I would have a lot of time to post, but really, I feel like I have less time!
Anyway, I'm going to be posting a few updates for my room!
First up: Slip cover headboard!
Above is a quick before and after photo of the bed. The bed itself is a queen and an ugly brown color. I found a really good deal on some clearance fabric at the store, and even though it was a little more than I wanted to spend, I just LOVED the print.
Plus, I didn't want to paint - I HATE painting things like this - too much detail and I don't have the patients for it lol
I did however fail to take pictures of the actual sewing part of this project. BUT, it really is as simple as sewing 3 sides and a quick hem.
I measured out the width and height of the headboard and added in the posts that added about 2 inches on each side, plus 1 inch for a seam allowance. I was SUPER lucky that my measurements for the height was EXACTLY the width of the fabric (45") so I didn't have to make any more than 1 cut (I got 4 yards because I was doing the foot-board too). I got a cheap grey fabric for the back, and some rolled batting to give the headboard a little cushion - You can however make this as thick as you want, but I just wanted a little padding.
I laid out my fabric as solid, print side down, then the batting. Pin. Sew the sides and top - I double seamed mine because it was going to be a tight fit and I didn't want any pulling apart.
Once I did that, I turned right side out, pointed my corners, slid on the headboard and made sure it fit ok. I pulled off again, then did a quick hem along the bottom. I did have to trim a little of the batting so it did't puff out, but no one would see it either.
And there you have it - a very quick and simple slipcover for head or foot board. Stay tuned for the other elements in the room!!