Friday, November 1, 2013

DIY Pumpkin Puree



In conjunction with my last post, here is a quick DIY on making fresh pumpkin for pies and whatnot for thanksgiving or for when you want a pie in the middle of the year!!

I don't have any cool pictures of this process, but its really easy, I promise!!

  • Cut up and clean out a pumpkin - I have used big ones, little ones etc - just whatever kind you want - there is a lot of debate on using "pie pumpkins" vs others, but honestly, they are all the same to me!
  • Cut up the pumpkin into chunks and BOIL (yes, boil) them in a large pot with about a cup of sugar to 8 cups water.
  • boil for about 45 minutes to an hour, until the pumpkin is tender and can be mashed very easy with a fork.
  • Drain water in a colander, and let sit to drain for about 5 minutes.
  • Throw the chunks of pumpkin (skin and all!!) into a blender and blend until it is pureed and smooth.
  • Fill large Ziploc baggies with roughly 2-4 cups in each bag and freeze laying flat, like this:

  • Then it is easy to stack and store for when you need them!!

There are LOTs of ways to do this, so do what you are comfortable with - I personally like mine with skin on - it really gives it a good earthy taste, and I swear, it even makes it taste "more pumpkin" lol :-)


If you are interested in some other ways, check out this site and see the baking method!!


How do you make your pumpkin puree??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Buffalo Ranch Tuna Cups

 Buffalo Ranch Tuna Cups So, I am not a huge tuna eater. I'm more of a steak, chicken, and seafood chick (well, aside fr...