These, very possibly, are the best cupcakes.
Like, EVER EVER.
I was asked to make some cupcakes for a co-worker who was going to be working in our office this week. I normally don't bake during the week, so it was a treat to her that I baked on a Wednesday :-)
I was originally going to make chocolate covered cherry cupcakes, but my friend said she wasn't a fan of cherries (even though they were for her sister!) so I found a random recipe for Oreo Cupcakes. It looked really good, but the recipe called for a boxed chocolate cake, and on this particular Wednesday I was feeling like SHM (Suzy Home Maker) and wanted to make my own chocolate batter. But I wanted to elevate it a little bit and try a new chocolate cake recipe.
I will for sure be using this chocolate cake recipe going forward!
- 24 Full Size Oreos + 18-20 Oreos for adding into batter and frosting (depending on how "Oreo" you want it, you can do more or less)
- 24 mini Oreos for placing on top of Cupcake
- Cupcake Liners
- Chocolate Cake Batter
CAKE BATTER INGREDIENTS
(If you don't want to do the SHM version, feel free to use boxed mix! Make according to directions)
- 1 + 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 + 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 T. vanilla
- 1 cup hot coffee (Or hot cocoa)
- 10 smashed Oreos
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup butter (1 + 1/2 stick), room temperature
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 +1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375. Line your cupcake tins with liners and place a full size Oreo at the bottom of the liner - set aside.
- In a stand mixing bowl, add in the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until all the dry ingredients are combined. (I used my paddle on my stand mixer)
- Add in the eggs, buttermilk, butter, and vanilla and continue beating on low until the batter is smooth.
- Once smooth, remove from the stand mixer. Add the hot coffee or cocoa and stir in with a spatula.
- Put about 10 full size Oreos into a large Ziploc bag and beat with a rolling pin until coarsely broken up - you can also use a blender to do this, but the Ziploc baggie works great!
- Add in smashed bits of Oreos and blend for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Scoop the batter into cupcake liners. Bake for 20 minutes or until done. Place a toothpick in the center of the cupcake to make sure it is baked through.
- Cream together softened butter and cream cheese.
- Add vanilla, then add powdered sugar slowly until blended well.
- Put 10 regular-sized Oreos in a Ziploc bag and beat the bag with the rolling pin until the Oreos are very fine (You can use the food processor or blender to do this step)
- Add to frosting, blend on low.
- After cupcakes have cooled frost using pastry bag and tip, or a simple knife or mini-spatula.
- place one mini Oreo on top of frosting as decoration.
These are AMAZING!!!
Enjoy and happy baking (and eating!!)