Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Home Made Baby Food

 
 
 
 
Those of you who know me IRL (in real life) know that my chubba bubba baby boy is an eating machine...he is almost 6 months old in September and he eats a LOT. He now has 3 teeth poked through but has been eating from a spoon since he was two months old. Considering he was born and was able to hold his head up, definitely contributes to his early developments.
 
Anyway, the pediatrician gave the go ahead at his 4 month check up to start him on stage two baby foods, (the bigger sizes, meats, etc) and to introduce juices and water, in addition to his bottles.
 
He now eats two containers of baby food, one meat combo and a veggie at lunch and dinner. Sometimes even some rice cereal too. Times this for 3-4 times a day, and the food adds up, as well as the $$$.
 
I never thought I would be the mother who *gasp* made her baby food, but seriously, doing this seems to have saved me time, energy and money. My lovely sister in law was even able to hunt down a Baby Bullet for cheap and I have to say, I love it!! 
 
So here are a few "recipes" that I have been using, as well as some tips/ideas if you want to give a hand at making your own.

 
So here are some of the combos I made over the weekend:

  • Spinach and Brown rice
  • Squash
  • Apples and oatmeal
  • Beans
  • Corn
  • Carrots
  • Chicken and beans

Once the baby gets a little older, its super easy to throw whatever you are eating for dinner into the blender and serve up to baby. I had been saving all my baby food containers that he had been eating, and used these for portions for the food I made this weekend.





Here is the spinach and brown rice - I just barely cooked down the spinach, cooked my brown rice, tossed together and then threw into the blender.


 

The baby food containers stacked perfectly into gallon size Ziploc bags and slid right into the freezer. Veggies can freeze well for 2-4 months and meats 1-2 months. Heat using warm/hot water. If you microwave, be careful on hotspots and make sure it is cooled and not too hot for baby.
 




 
Also, check here at Wholesome Baby Food  site - this has a lot of info on stages, food ideas, and at what age baby is ready for solids.


******Remember, always consult with your pediatrician regarding introducing solid foods to your baby and specifically discuss any foods that may pose allergy risks for your baby.*****










1 comment:

Buffalo Ranch Tuna Cups

 Buffalo Ranch Tuna Cups So, I am not a huge tuna eater. I'm more of a steak, chicken, and seafood chick (well, aside fr...