Monday, September 9, 2013

Home Made Baby Food - Part two

So, last week I posted about my new adventure into making baby food - I made a few things last week (see this post here. ) and yesterday I was at it again.

 



So this week, I went to our local farmers market and picked up some sweet potato's, butterbeans, squash, zucchini, peaches and pears and some baby red potato's. I am committed to continuing making baby food at home, and after last weeks success (mostly) I was able to whiz through this weeks menu in about an hour.

(View International Farmers Market FB page here.)


I started with roasting my sweet potato's in the oven, 350 degrees with a little water in the pan to keep them moist for about an hour. I also put in the baby red potato's, but more on that later.

 
I put my butterbeans onto a boil, and when they were nice and soft, threw them into the Baby Bullet, added a little water and made a beautiful butterbean puree!
 
 
 
 
I then sliced up my zucchini and squash, added a little olive oil and a touch of seasoning - yes, seasoning!! Its ok to introduce some flavor, even at a young age ;-) just make sure the seasoning isn't over powering and its nothing with a lot of heat.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Once my sweet potato's were done in the oven, I scooped out the centers, chopped up a boiled chicken breast and threw it into the blender. And what is sweet potato's without a little brown sugar and cinnamon?

Back to the baby red potato's: My goal was to make a "mashed" potato, however, it came out more like a potato paste, so I chucked it. I think mashed potato's are better fresh anyway.

I chopped and threw into the blender some apples, peaches and pears. The fruit medley was fantastic tasting, and it was "Jackson" approved when he taste tested!!




Overall, I am getting more confident with the process and learning how much of what will make how much of food.

Here is the breakdown:

1 bag of butterbeans: 6 containers of food and had 2 cups left over that I froze
1 small squash and 1/4 of a monster zucchini: 4 containers of food
1 chicken breast and 3 sweet potato's: 6 containers of food
2 each of peach, pear and apple: 6 containers of food

In addition, I still had squash, corn and the Brown Rice and Spinach from last week.

I also found that without marking the container itself (which I want to avoid so that I can re-use them) putting each different food into a smaller Ziploc bag with its contents is a lot more convenient and I don't have to stare at the container trying to figure out exactly what it is!

Everything stacked perfectly and fit great into the freezer.

I think next week I am going to actually create "meals" in each bag, so that the night before, I can take out of the freezer, place in fridge, and have it thawed and ready to go for the next day.

***AS A REMINDER - ONLY FEED YOUR BABY FOODS THAT HAVE BEEN APPROVED BY YOUR DOCTOR - ALL BABIES EAT AT DIFFRENT STAGES AND NOT ALL BABIES ARE THE SAME, AND THERE ARE FOOD ALLERGIES THAT YOUR CHILD MAY HAVE. ALWAYS CONSULT A PEDIATRICTION BEFORE STARTING YOUR INFANT ON BABYFOOD; HOMEMADE OR OTHERWISE.***


 
 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Buffalo Ranch Tuna Cups

 Buffalo Ranch Tuna Cups So, I am not a huge tuna eater. I'm more of a steak, chicken, and seafood chick (well, aside fr...