My husband is a HUGE pizza fan, and so am I, but we do try and eat healthy when we can. We have also tried to cut back on eating out because its not good for us really, or our wallets.
So one of my planned menu meals for this week is white pizza - an awesome combo of chicken, feta, spinach, onions, garlic....mmm....really yummy!!
Crust (either home made or bought)
2 chicken breasts, thawed and cubed (you can marinate if you want)
1/2 bag or a large bunch of loose leaf/fresh spinach (you can use frozen if you want)
10-12 cut rings of onion, then cut in half
1 clove of garlic, sliced thin
1/2 block low-fat cream cheese
1/3 cup low-fat ranch dressing
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/2 cup PLUS additional 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella or "pizza" cheese
1/2 cup Alfredo sauce
touch of oregano and basil, salt and pepper (put as much/little as you want)
- In large skillet, sauté the onion slices and garlic until cooked through and almost golden brown (4-6 minutes)
- Add cubed chicken, a pinch of the salt and pepper and cook thoroughly, until no longer pink.
- While chicken is cooking prepare the crust, and put a nice layer of the white sauce on, spreading evenly.
- When chicken is cooked all the way through, mix in spinach a few handfuls at a time, cooking until just wilted. If you cook it down too much, the spinach pretty much disappears!
- Mix everything in the pan together, and then spread evenly into the crust, on top of the white sauce - if you had extra sauce, you can add a dollop or two around.
- Add the remaining cup of cheese to the top before putting into the pre-heated oven, usually about 12-15 minutes depending on how you want your crust...
- After its baked and the cheese is nice and gooey, slice up and serve with whatever it is you eat pizza with! (we use ranch!)
- In hindsight, we think that a nice layer of chopped crispy bacon would have given it a nice pop, but we are, after all, trying to eat healthy!!